Thursday, March 6, 2008

Vanity






I'm not too sure on how successful this print is. I really like the concept, because majority of my work is very personal, and this is the first time that i have ever involved someone else's thoughts. It had potential, and the direction was there... but I think that the composition is lacking. Perhaps, not... I think it would be a really nice print if it was large scale, very large... like wall, or mural size, which is good practice because I have a goal of doing 3 street art murals this summer.

The idea I had was to do a varied edition, two different backgrounds of lace, and two different colour scheme. I had printed the figures (figures... ha! me.) brown first, then started on the second edition with the green. Originally, the two figures on the bikes, and the one on the chair were suppose to be different layers, but Chris and Joanne convinced me that it would probably be best if all the figures were the same colour. The reason why I wanted them (the figures on the bike different from the one on the chair) to be different was cause they're two different entities, two different personas, no simularities at all. But I took their advice cause thats the whole point of going to school. So I printed the brown layer first (and becuase I had originally created them as two differnt layers) then went back and did 3 more layers on top of the figure on the chair to give it depth. Its suppose to be the text unveiled into imagery, so it needs to stand out. That, I found was successful. Starting the second edition, printing the green, I thought I would do the same thing... print 3 or 4 more layers onto the figure. WRONG!!!! after the 3rd layer, I looked like, without a doubt, the jolly green giant... Chris even said " haha.. you should be holding a can of peas, not hairspray... wait, better yet... SHEHULK!!! grrrr... me Danielle, Shehulk...I crush you." Thanks for that Chris...

So I had to figure out how I was going to fix that problem. I'm horrible at colour theory, (we don't need to get into that right now) but I figured it out, and thats the end result. I still wasn't satisfied with how it looked so I printed an all over layer to bring it together. The photos doesn't really do it justice, but it came together nicely... way better then Shehulk.

The boarder that surrounds the image, was suppose to be on all of them, but I think I like it better without. The print isn't finished yet, I still have to put the eyes in Hurman (the floating duders) and cut and sign. Cant decide if they're going to be bleed prints or not. I think this editions is going to be extreme varied. ha!

i don't know if I like it or not yet, I'll post a better photo when the print is finished.

the text is a conversation that I had with someone once, someone that has always been brutally honest with me (I think.) Some of the people I go to school with found it to be quite harsh, but I think its a good idea not to dismiss the "dark side" that you possess, but to embrace it. Not in a negative fashion, but just as an understanding for positive evolution. It takes time, and sometimes a struggle, but I guess thats why I practice an artist medium. right?

the text reads:

" I think your bike vanity is a soft spot...its like you care more about them then you do yourself. like you wouldn't care if someone told you you were ugly, but you might a little if someone was talking about your bike...Seriously, you value your appearance of your bikes so much, how is it different from personal vanity? like layers of makeup and hairspray, or shitty gold wheels?"

No comments: