Tuesday, April 22, 2008


This tool was one of the things that amazed me as a child. No, I wasn't one of those crazy kids and just stood at the sharpener and jammed all their pencils in until they were all gone, I just really liked the sound. The feeling of the pencil being chewed up with beautiful precision, I could feel the vibration on my little, but long hands. I could have been a child piano prodigy with these hands.

I was in the wood shop mastering the miter saw, and I was over come with happiness when I saw that sharpener. I even weld up. I dunno, it could be perhaps that I'm a woman coming of age and my hormone's are uber sensitive or I really did love the sharpener that much. I loved that I could take off that odd egg shaped container/bucket/catcher and look inside and could even tell who else had sharpened their pencils that day. There was a club... a sticker trading club that the girls started at school cause doing that was wayyy cooler then going out side and playing. I wasn't invited... not until grade 4. So to make myself feel special I would collect pencil shavings and eraser bits. You know when you erase something and you would have these little bits of eraser all rolled up and you would careless blow them away. Well, to me they were lovely little gemstones. Call me neurotic, or call me that weird little girl that dressed like a boy and could ride her bike better than anyone, thats ok... like I've said time and time again, its was never meant for you anyway.

I'm not to fond of the photo itself, perhaps I can catch it another day.

I never bothered to open up the pencil sharpener at the wood shop to see how many shaving were in it... I'm too busy collecting scabs and fingernails now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like.